Monday 2 April 2018

Week 8 Photography Assignment Contre-Jour and Chiaroscuro


Contre-Jour Photography

Contre-jour (French for "against daylight") is a photographic technique in which the camera is pointing directly toward a source of light. Contre-jour produces backlighting of the subject. ... Fill light may be used to illuminate the side of the subject facing toward the camera.

Jo – Contre jour Photography

Tricky shot as I had a long lens and was doing a shoot for a performance. I saw this possible image and Jo was backlit. I lowered the shutter speed, kept ISO high and took a risk. Using breathing to steady myself allowed to get a relatively sharp image with the backlight laminating Jo's hair and head.

Processing in ACR I have reduced noise, increased the saturation to bring out colours and kept her face fairly hidden to emphasise the outline. There is not enough information in the shadows to bring any out anyway.



Jo – Contre jour Photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, f/2.8, 1/160sec, 200mm, ISO-2000

Chiaroscuro Photography

Chiaroscuro (English: /kiˌɑːrəˈskjʊəroʊ/; Italian: [ˌkjaroˈskuːro] (light-dark)) is an artistic technique, developed during the Renaissance, that uses strong tonal contrasts between light and dark to model three-dimensional forms, often to dramatic effect.

Patch - Chiaroscuro


I could not get my lighting right, and I am still not that happy with this image! It does meet some requirements of Chiaroscuro photography. However, there is such diffuse light between the shadows and key light. I chose a 135mm prime as this lens produces beautiful crisp images. It is awesome for animals. Plus it made me move to get the composition. Processing in ACR was involved, and so I think the more you have to process the more you are trying to make a poor image a good image. There is a point when you cant. Not happy with this image I did the next image.


Patch - Chiaroscuro

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, f/2.5, 1/400ec, 135mm, ISO-800

Jo - Chiaroscuro

I struggled with this image to get the right light so set up a makeshift studio in my garage. I used studio lights to illuminate one side of Jo. I think it has been successful in creating a Chiaroscuro photography. However, Jo is half smiling which may distract from a more moody shot. There was also to much ambient light in the garage so next image will be when it is darker to see if I can produce a more dramatic.

I used an 85mm as this is a great lens for portraiture and is kind to my human subjects. The 135mm is too harsh.


Jo - Chiaroscuro


Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, f/1.4, 1/640ec, 85mm, ISO-160


Jo 2 - Chiaroscuro

Still not quite the image I was after. However, I waited till it was dark and just used a studio light and flash to create this image. Much fun was had to flick the hair. Somehow I would have liked to have illuminated the eyes. The facial expressions are funny, but I did get Jo to look at the camera. A fast shutter speed on high sync flash worked here. In hindsight, I would use a f/2.8 - 3.5 as that would give me better clarity on her face.




Jo 2 - Chiaroscuro - Attitude

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, f/1.4, 1/2000ec, 85mm, ISO-400













No comments:

Post a Comment